Funding for Student-Led Campus Programming
University Life Arlington uses a committee process to award funds on an as needed basis. Funds are awarded for programs/events that impact the quality of campus life at the Arlington campus of George Mason University. Funding priority is given to requests received by the following dates:
5 weeks in advance of the program(s) for requests $500 or greater
2 weeks in advance of the program for requests under $499
University Life Arlington funds are awarded to programs/events which: build community; enhance co-curricular education; promote faculty/staff/student interaction; contribute to academic, career or professional development of our students; celebrate cultural diversity; increase collaboration across units within the university.
Funds are awarded to programs geared toward a primary audience made up of students. Funding applications are evaluated on:
- Program rationale
- Academic or co-curricular connection(s)
- Extent to which the program fulfills the University Life at Arlington mission
- Likelihood of garnering an audience of the desired size and composition
- Promotion plan
- Alignment with other University Life or campus events (e.g., International Week, Heritage/History Month(s), Homecoming, etc.)
- Work plan and timeline
- Anticipated outcomes and benefits of project or program
- Evaluation plan
- Proposed use of funds
The University Life Arlington funding commitee will also consider:
- Significance of the project and its overall prospects for success
- Involvement of faculty, students and staff at the Arlington Campus
- Program’s immediate and long-term impact on a well defined target audience, which may and generally should include the university community at Arlington at large
- The relationship of the project to the goals and priorities of University Life
- Other funding sources (i.e. Registered Student Organizations requesting University Life Arlington funds must first request funds through the office of Student Involvement. Visit the Student Involvement website for details. Law school organizations should first seek funding through the Student Bar Association.)
Because University Life Arlington program/event funds come from student fee money, programs with a primary audience of students are given priority. Requests will first be evaluated on their likelihood of garnering an audience of the desired size and composition. There is considerable evidence that advertising alone is insufficient to this task, so proposals with an academic connection will be given high consideration.
Requests for University Life Arlington program/event Funds must be submitted via the Program Funding Application.